Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Krystal's Trail Journal: July 12, 2007

"Glen Aulin Camp" July 12, 2007

The sun feels warm on my skin as I sit on a rock next to the gigantic cascade of the Tuolumne River. We made it to Glen Aulin camp early today and are only 6 miles from Tuolumne Meadows, our first re-supply.

Glen Aulin has a backpackers camp w/composting toilets & bear boxes -- talk about luxury. It also has tent cabins & catered meals for mostly older folks who have the money & want to experience "wilderness" without the hassle of a backpack.

So here I am, feeling the mist of the mighty falls on my face, feeling more clean than I have in days after a "shower" in the falls & basking in the sun's warm rays, grateful that I am sitting in it next to a magnificent river rather than hiking up switch backs on a 2000 ft climb under her scorching rays. What a difference.

There's an older couple, maybe in their mid-forties, doing yoga in a meadow across from me -- seems fitting I suppose. Makes me more aware of my stiff spine & tense back -- suppose it wouldn't hurt to do a little stretching, eh?

One of the best lessons I'm learning out here on the trail is that of gratitude & recognition. Gratitude for life, for breath, for health, for beauty and diversity, mystery, & community. Recognition that happiness come in simplicity, in working hard for what you need & in honoring the sustenance that nature provides us.

When you have to carry everything you need on your back -- your shelter, food, clothing, stove, filter, entertainment -- then do all your work by hand (filtering water, washing clothes, gathering firewood, hanging your food, putting up your tent) it really make you both appreciate the luxuries of modern society and stop to think about if I really need or would even miss all the things I left behind in "civilization."

It seems society has become so fast-paced and mechanized that we have become detached from the natural world. Strange, since our ability to live & thrive is intimately & utterly reliant upon it. I'm not saying we should all go back to live in the wild...but...being out here, exposed to the elements & the pending dangers inherent in the "wild" world is a testament of the importance of protecting these wondrous places and the importance of visiting these places often.

Out on the trail I am humbled by mother earth's power & majesty. I feel my lungs breathe up & down in my chest -- and I am so grateful to have breath! I see a many-colored spectrum of hardy alpine flowers & shrubs blooming & thriving in harsh conditions and I am grateful for sight & inspired to be strong in the face of adversity.

I feel the sun, wind, & river touch my face all at the same time, & I am grateful for the simple pleasures, & refreshing delights that nature smiles upon us! I see others taking a dip in a pristine powerful cool mountain river and am so grateful for the privilege to even be here among them. It is a privilege to be here and I hope none of us take it for granted.

1 comment:

karenstokes said...

Hi Krystal and Glenn - thanks for the great blog, and thanks for taking us along with you on your amazing journey. The paintings are beautiful! Maybe you could display them at the church when you get home - I'm sure people would love to see and hear about what you accomplished this summer.
Blessings! Karen