Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Krystal's Trail Journal: July 11, 2007

"Do you think they sell blood by the oz. ?"

The PCT is pretty hard core. It's true. There are lots of ups & downs -- up to high 10,000+ ft passes then back down steep canyon ravines, only to go back up more passes -- then back down to beautifully clear stream & lakes. It's wonderful! And tiring, and sometimes frustrating, I admit.

But worth every second at the end of the day when we take a dip in a clear mountain lake & sun bathe on the sandy lakeshore of Miller Lake, eat a hearty meal of mashed potatoes & turkey gravy, then sing songs by the campfire, marvel at the billions of stars in the universe, and lay our tired bodies down to rest in a cozy, mosquito-free tent. Yay.

The bear bag is hung, we've definitely entered Bear Country -- we've officially been in Yosemite Park boundaries for 3 days now & bears will get more frequent the closer we get to Tuolumne Meadows. Lucky for me, Glenn is a pretty excellent bear bagger, so not too worried about losing food. We have seen a lot of bear prints, but no bears yet. I'm okay with that. Hopefully we won't get a visitor tonight!

Sweet dreams.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Krystal and Glenn, I just finished reading your entries. I returned Monday night from hiking the Donner Pass to Ebbetts Pass stretch covering some of the same trail you passed early in your adventure. We walked pass Showers Lake and high above Blue Lakes too. My only regret was that I didn't have more time . . . so I will be living vicariously through your journeys and periodic updates from the Germinator (although someone reported that he was in Arcata recently which clearly is off the PCT).

Well, Jenkins House is scheduled to come down tomorrow (who knows . . . since deverything else has been delayed).

Rees (part of Team Geezer)

Unknown said...

Oops . . . I thought that I should explain that I am using my daughter's account.

Rees

stina said...

Hey! Do they have "Harry Potter" on the trail? I thought of you when I read it! :)