Thursday, July 19, 2007

Krystal's Trail Journal: July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July! It's our third day out and & a beautiful morning! We camped by Upper Lost Lake last night pooped after a fifteen mile hike -- so our bodies are still adjusting...

I feel amazingly rejuvenated after a good night's sleep though. Being out here really helps you appreciate the simple things in life -- eating, sitting, lying down! They feel so good after being on the move all day long!

It's nice and quiet this morning -- only sounds of a slight breeze & bird chirps. A nice change from the noisy kids splashing in the lake and revving ATV engines -- this lake is drivable to by dirt road so naturally there are big families that want to enjoy the beautiful Sierras too...c'est la vie.

We're off to Raymond Lake today, another 14 miles. I'm hoping today I don't lose or break anything...I've had a little bad luck so far on the trail: lost one of my Crocs, got a little heat exhaustion from going back to look for it, which caused us to not quite make it to our first destination -- Showers Lake -- which made for a long day of hiking yesterday...

That's not so bad, but when I was lying sick in the tent I accidentally rolled on my fishing pole, snapping one section in 2. But wait, it gets better --yesterday I lost my sunglasses -- had to back track, but did find them after not too long -- but broke the end of my umbrella off when I sat down on a rock to rest...Maybe my trail name should be "Back Track."

Glenn was deemed a new trail name -- Stitch -- by our friend Zach (a.k.a. Germinator b/c he sprouts his food on the trail). Stitch is for his handiwork sewing -- he sewed almost our whole net tent, a camera bag, a ukulele bag, & a "ditty" bag among other things. We both sewed our backpacks & mittens but we all know Glenn is the pro.

So I'm still trying to pick a trail name...Some options are "Brushstroke," "Water Color," "Ortvark" [I don't know what this is...maybe Aardvark? --Cass], "Juggernaut," "Lefty" (cuz I only have 1 left camp shoe & leave everything behind), "Pigment," "Palette," or "Paintbrush." I like "Brushstroke" the best so far -- any suggestions?

I have my watercolors & am trying to do one per day, but haven't had time yet. Once our packs are lighter & our bodies are stronger, we'll get to camp faster & have more time to relax. We've run into a lot of thru-hikers (started at camps in So. CA & are heading to the Canadian border), many of them do up to 25 or 30 miles per day! Hiking from about 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. -- No thank you.

No comments: