Sunday, June 03, 2007

Kinetic Sculpture Race!
Photos! As promised Dad.
So I've made my first pilgramage to the Mecca of Arcata since I moved away in December. I forgot how nice it is up there- crazy races, quaint farmer's market, gorgeous river 45 minutes up the road...lovely.
If you don't know about this race, read up- it's pretty whacky awesome.
I lived in Arcata for four years and never saw this crazy race. I come back over Memorial Day as a visitor with Glenn and we find ourselves among a pack of sculpture followers out at the dunes watching the these crazy kinetic contraptions go down "dead man's gulch." Such a great event, it'd be so fun to be in it wouldn't it?...

"Armored Carp" This was one of my favorite ones, made out of kitchen utentsils..

Blue Beetle- check out this guy's outfit! pretty hot huh?

"Bounce for Glory"- he just jumps up and down to move forward


"June's Bloom"- they have the best costumes





"Heads of School"


"The Patriot Act"- the big wheels are best for sand surfing




"Easy Does It"
______________________________________________

Trinity River !!



My Stud Muffin
Peter, Noelle, me and Glenny

Kayakers!



All for now, more later...

2 comments:

chippo said...

Hey, that river looks familiar! But where is the naked painted baby?

Your kinetic scupture photos are awesome. I'm sorry I missed it. Next year, you should build your own!

Krystal Mae said...

I know, we were missing the naked baby, and I would love to make a kinetic sculpture, I don't think it's as easy as it looks? wait, it doesn't look easy. But so much fun! I'm going to try and convince CCAT to get one made with a class project, wouldn't that be swell?