Monday, May 14, 2007

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


I'm grateful for my mama. And my grandmas. And my boyfriend's mama.
And my earth mama. And all mamas really.
Caroline and I took five minutes of silence on Sunday as suggested during Karen Stokes's sermon (she's the pastor at the Montclair Presbyterian Church.)
We were sitting silently in the sun in Dimond park, kids playing with their parents, bees buzzing in the clover around us on the grass, blue sky...and one of the thoughts that came to me was that all life comes into being through mothers, just like our mother earth brings forth all life that lives and breathes and thrives on this planet. That's something we all have in common universally, we all come from a mother somewhere; regardless of our race, class, gender, nationality, or species if you think about the planet as mother of us all- that's all something we can relate to. Isn't it beautiful?

During Karen's sermon she was talking about how we all want our children and children's children and children's children's children to have clean water to drink, clean air to breathe, nutritious food to eat, good health care, and a loving community of people to support them...That's what environmentalism is for me and it's cool to think of it as being rooted in our love and appreciation for the all the mothers in the world. All that they work, and sacrifice, and live for to protect and support thier children.
And that's what the five minutes of silence was for- to appreciate mothers; to celebrate life; to show that we believe in that healthy and positive world, that we hope for that world to come into being, that we will do what we can to support peace and life and love and make this world better for the children to come.
Happy Mother's Day mothers!!

In Karen's sermon, she also mentioned some powerful, courageous woman in history who have stood up for peace and justice on behalf of their children : Julia Ward Howe,
Soujourner Truth
(1797-1883) and the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo".
Truly courageous and powerfully inspiring women. Can we say role model? Wow. I want to be that strong in my convictions.

Soujourner Truth's speech was my favorite part. I didn't really know that much about her. Here is a quote from her "Ain't I a woman" speech in 1851 at the women's convention in Akron, OH:

"That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?
Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him."

Isn't that great? She had fayda that woman (courage and attitude in the Wolof language).

Oh ya, I have to tell you about a moving song we sang in the choir: it's about missing the tenderness and comfort of a mother called "Wanting Memories" by Ysaye Barnwell (a singer in Sweet Honey in the Rock, a soulful, powerful, inspirational group of women). Very rhythmic and beautiful. Listen here (link on left side).

So I'm feeling full of Gratitude for life and love and all the good things in life.


This is one of the coolest restaurants I have been to. It's up there with Cafe Diablo, maybe even better. Do you believe me dad? Besides all of the food being beautiful with wonderful service and a great atmosphere, Cafe Gratitude has named all of their dishes self affirmations, so when you order you have to say things like " I am fabulous" and when they serve you they have to say "You are fabulous" or "You are fulfilled", things like that. The cool thing about is that they actually sincerely mean it when they say it.
It's a really positive, comfortable-feeling, community-based place. They serve mostly raw, all organic, yummy yummy food. Their desserts are especially good with things like cashew cheesecake and raw cacao fudge- oh my goodness. so amazingly full of flavor!
I feel so grateful:)

I'm very grateful to be living and learning, struggling and growing, laughing and loving, exploring and giving...

And I owe it to my mama for carrying me around in her belly and bringing me into this world.

And taking care of me and supporting me for 25 years after. Thanks mom.

Well, I should thank my dad too, but we'll save that for Father's Day won't we?





1 comment:

Noelle said...

Krystal, you're welcome anytime up here. :) Plus, Tatton and I were thinking of having a potluck that weekend, so it would be great if you were there! I can't call you right now because 1) my phone card is plum out and I can't recharge it due to a shortage of funds and 2) Rachel's cellie was turned off for the time being. :( I get paid next week and I should be able to recharge it then.

Soooo ... yeah. :) I love you lots too!