Sunday, May 06, 2007

I learned from my father and the help of wikipedia, that it is not the celebration of Mexican Independence day, but celebrating Mexican Pride, especially for Mexican Americans. It's apparently more celebrated in America b/c of commercialization than in Mexico which originated as a celebration of winning a battle five years before Indepencence against the French...)
Good time to get together with friends, eat good food and celebrate ya?

So I kind of slacked on posting last week. This whole week I've kind of felt like a slacker to be honest- haven't felt lin September- but ke jogging, eaten lots of sugar, feeling lazy...Maybe it's cuz the weather is getting hotter? I'm thinking we all go through our phases of being motivated or not...right?
I snapped out of it today after a moving sermon at church (welcome all to the table, regardless...reminds me of a saying I like: God bless everyone, without exception.) and a perfectly gorgeous day with a nice hike in the hills. So now I'm taking a week long break from sugar- I admit it- I'm addicted to sugar okay- especially chewy sweet chocolaty things like brownies, or cold chunky chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream...mmm. Glenn and his mom aren't much help, but when my teeth started hurting in multiple places, I thought "maybe it's time to take a little break..." Give me strength!














^ remember these?
Sugar makes Crystals!- do you think there's a connection?

....Anyways, i've been procrastinating posting a blog this week because I didn't know what I wanted to write about..I've felt the same way about painting lately...
Part of it is also because I'm having a blog identity crisis. I feel like it's turning into just a travel log... I want my fam and friends to know what I'm up to- but I also want it to be a place that I can express my feelings and invite discussion and share opinions ...so give me comments !:)

So I'm a little back logged-but here are a few things I've been up to lately:
I started balafon lessons with a musician from Guinea named Mohammed Kouyate.
I met him when I went to an African Dance class in downtown Oakland:) I wanted to take lessons when I was in Senegal but never seeed to have enough time, so I'm glad I do now. I don't know how long I will take them cuz they're a little expensive, but it's an ancient instrument and mesmorizes me everytime I play it. What's a balafon?
I just learned that one of the best balfon players is a man from Guinea named El Hadj Djeli Sory Kouyaté
kouyate, sound familiar? Apparently it's one of the biggest griot families in West Africa.
listen to some of his songs!

Other than that, the most exciting thing I've done lately is seeing the new spider man 3 movie.
I know, just a movie, Krystal's usually not that into the pop culture scene..But this movie I really liked. So much that I am writing about it in my blog. It was actually fabulous, especially for a #3 movie, which I am getting increasingly annoyed with- what's up with everyone making 3 movies nowadays? But this movie was great - great message, good storyline, great effects, and lots of humor. Can we say emo?

You'll know what I"m talking about when you see it.

Plus we saw it at the greatest theatre in Oakland- the Grand Lake Theatre- it's a super old classy theatre that has a live organ player on Fridays and Saturdays, doesn't play any commercials before the movies, and they post political messages on the theatre board. If you come to visit, it is a must-see.






Oh ya, I went to Muir Woods last weekend- sorry, can't get away from the pretty nature photos.
I took seven international students from the EF international school at Mill's college, each from a different country (Russia, Germany, Belgium, Kuwait, Italy, France, and the U.S.) A great group of peopls, and we had a great time- had a BBQ on the beach (I even cooked hamburgers for everyone, though I still do not eat them nor do I wish to support the cattle industry anytime in the near future...I'm getting more blatently opinionated in my older age aren't I?...)
Anyways, the beach was lovely, a bit windy and foggy-but hey that's the northern CA coast- then went hiking in Muir Woods down the way...Honestly it's a beautiful place, but I guess I'm a little spoiled having spent four years at Humboldt State near Redwood National Park- it's not nearly as crowded up there, there are more trails, taller trees... I wasn't as awe-struck as I feel like I should've been being in the presence of thse amazing ancient wise giants...but humbled none-the-less.







1 comment:

Noelle said...

Krystal! It's Noelle!! Do you want to come up for Gradumatation? What's the dealio?? Rosie said you could stay at her place, yo! And hoola hooping and good food and music with Zach, Noelle, and Tatton!!!!! :)

Love!

Noelle