Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snowmen, Sailing, Senegalese Singing and a Circus!

It's December already! I miss the snow.

(Save a Snowman!- "a fun, positive approach to solving the climate crisis. " Check em out.)

So Here's a little peek into my life:

I have 8 housemates. We need to find one more. We had a birthday party for Kat this weekend-and had lot of fun together. also lots of cleaning and cooking and eating and dancing:)
Kat is 24- happy birthday!

I live in a big beautiful, cold, drafty, un-insulated house.
I have a sink in my room, it doesn't work.
The air is getting colder outside and crisper. This comforts me somehow.

I guess I feel comforted that we still can distinguish between seasons with all this global warming and climate change happening. I admit that I love sunshine! And warm weather in October and November can be pretty nice...but it just doesn't feel right.



I've been working a lot. Good and bad. One of my jobs is working for an environmental non-profit called Earth Team, helping expand their Green News Online magazine- all for youth (middle school/high school). Really cool program.

My other job is helping do market research for my other boss (Allison's) husband for a little while to make some extra money and to bide time till we find funding for a cool experiential art exhibit we want to do about global warming and climate change...

I can finally pay off some of my bills, or taxes, as the case may be, but have not been exercising as much as I should. There's something wrong with this picture...our bodies are sacred and need to be taken care of, yet so often I deprive it and my mental well-being for "work."


I need to resolve this. It's important to take care of our bodies and souls- that's all we've really got when it comes down to it, isn't it sad that we neglect ourselves?
I think this might be a bigger society-wide problem...don't you think? Why do we work so much?

They don't work as long in Europe, and have longer vacations than us Americans in the U.S. ...Why?

I heard world-renowned singer Youssou N'Dour sing this weekend! for free! His voice is amazing! He's on Time's top 100 most influential people of the year, doing great things to help children, to fight aids and malaria through music. check out his webiste and hear some music.
(Let me know what you think, he's so popular in Senegal- people listen to him all the time on their stereos!)

Anyways, the concert started with everyone sitting in their chairs and ended with everyone out of their chairs and dancing- aisles full, dancers showing off their stuff on stage: dancing in provokative response to the drummer's beats. Very Senegal, so good. Then, we got to meet him back stage! A bit intimidating, but he was so laid back- we even got our picture with him!
And I got to speak Wolof and french with some of the band members which was really fun:)
I am inspired by the dancing- I want to take more West African dancing-so high energy and fun and free!....




On friday Glenn and his friend Brady finally left to sail to Mexico!! They went past the golden gate into open ocean for the first time and made it to Monteray Bay yesterday! They are hanging out there for a few days to wait out a storm before they continue...smart guys...Hopefully he'll get his own blog together soon, then you can read updates from him:)

I feel sad he's gone,
but so excited and happy and content all at the same time!
( I miss you Ella!)

He's traveling out of the country- that is an adventure that everyone needs to take- to find out more about themselves and the world. This makes me happy and excited for him. Tinge of jealousy, but way more happiness and excitement for him. I love traveling, and I'm glad to have had time to travel on my own....now it's Glenn's turn.

I'm going to have more Krystal time, which I'm excited about and need. I'm also excited to have more time to hang out with new friends, get some more work experience, do more art, more dance and find new things to do in the Bay.

This will be a good time for both of us.

The night before Glenn and Brady left, Caroline (Glenn's mama) treated us to Cirque de Soleil!
watch the video, so cool! It's a circus, but French Canadian style- can't get much better than that.

unicycle dancing duo

wheel of death- these guys are pumped with adreneline, lots of ego and lots of guts!

fastest moving hands I've ever seen, juggling 12 rings while bouncing a ball on his head and wearing a sliver suit! is he for real?

tight rope balancing act on bicycles!?- with a guy chillin in a chair on top...no problem!

balance balls- and people, and more balance balls, and more people- they just keep on stackin'

- watching this show made me awe at all the potential we humans have. it showcased a myriad of life's issues in a very physical way: humor, fear, love, passion, risk, balance, training, concentration, illusion, flexibility, passion, expression, creativity ...amazing. All with a live band and singer, amazing lights, crazy clowns all inside a big huge tent!


wow! really cool.
If you ever get a chance, scrounge up some cash and go!....


...So It's winter and I'm in california-

I got to go swimming with Caroline and hiking with my new friend Diana today- alhumdulilaay!
Joaquin Miller Regional Park in the Oakland Hills:)
This is right next the Mormon Temple, beautiful views of the bay.

All in all, Life is pretty good.

It's still weird to have no snow and flowers growing...It's Hibernation time- I'm ready to curl up by the fire and read books. And sleep.

1 comment:

maryirene said...

life in oaktown sounds great! i can imagine that you will miss glenn though, but like you said, what a great opportunity to explore your life and likes. have fun! can't wait to see you here in utah. coming soon! miss you.