Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Mushrooms are eating the San Francisco Bay!







I'm sure you have all heard about the big container ship that hit the bay bridge a few days back and spilled 58,000 gallons of fuel into the bay. Oops.
Even the SF 7th graders I gave a presentation to yesterday knew all about it, so I'm sure all y'all out of staters know about it by now.

Apparently the governator won't let the fisherman or crabbers do anything until the mess is cleaned up, so lots of them are helping with their boats to clean the oil up. read article here.
Good idea Arnold, you know, I think he's not such a bad guy really. Did you know his signature is on my college diploma? Not that I'm necessarily proud that this grotesquely muscle-bound terminator is our governor, but he's actually done a lot of amazing work for the environment, so I've got to say thanks Arnold.

To be honest, I have been more busy trying to juggle a few different jobs lately than keeping up to date with the status of the oil spill clean up, but I did take a few minutes this evening to read a great article that made me really excited: a bunch of volunteers are using human hair mats (made from hair collected from hair salons)to soak up the oil on beaches, then using oyster mushrooms to absorb the oil, which turns the whole mat into compost! Turning toxic oil into non-toxic compost- awesome! That's gotta be one of the coolest, greenest, non-toxic solutions I've ever heard of! Yay for creativity and the mushroom family. Check out the article here.

Have any of you heard of Paul Stamets? He's basically the mushroom guru of the Pacific Northwest who wrote an amazing book about how mushrooms will save the world "Mycelium Running." I haven't read it, but I have heard him speak a couple of times about it, and it's truly miraculous stuff! Check out his website here.

So there are safe, all natural solutions to a lot of the yucky, man-made toxics created from our "industrious" species. Hallelujah! (I'm listening to old time gospel music right now. Which reminds me, Oakland has an amazing interfaith gospel choir! Who wants to come and see them with me? They have a Christmas concert every year, wouldn't that be fun?)
I'm thankful for creativity! May we all let more creativity thrive in our lives and make room for more innovation and miracles!
May I make more room for creative outlet in my life- I feel like an artist, but I don't do art often enough.
Here, some more paintings from this summer- feast on these for now till I get some new work:)



"Big Sand Lake" WI (near MN where Glenn's grandpa lives)



"Evolution Lake Sunset"- One of the prettiest spots on the Pacific Crest Trail located in Evolution Valley in Kings Canyon Wilderness I believe- also great fishing.



"Lake of the Lone Indian"- a beautiful spot off the beaten path a little bit, again an amazing spot on our hike along the Pacific Crest/John Muir Trail



"Rae Lakes" we stayed at a little island in between the two lakes, this is looking north at sunset.



"Puget Sound" in Seattle Washington- we went here right after our big hike and this was pretty close to where Glenn's sister Buffie lived.

I made some of these into cards- would you buy one? I'm thinking of trying to sell some at some of the local stores maybe?

1 comment:

Glenn Howe said...

I'd buy one, if I was better at keeping in touch. Maybe I'll buy one and send it to you.