Thursday, March 08, 2007

Yay for Art!

There are some great exhibits at the MOMA in San Fransisco right now!
I went there on Tuesday for free tuesdays- the first Tuesday of each month.
My favorite exhibits were:

Henry Wessel's Photography,







"San Francisco" 1977

Some of Paul Klee's small sketches




"Why does he run" 1932

Amy Franceschini's victory gardens project. She is one of the five contemporary artists in the Bay Area to win the biennial SECA award (Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art)," an art interest group tha recognizes local artists of exceptional promise." The exhibit included a pogo stick shovel as well as a wheel barrow bike, and free seed packets to take home.
I like this idea.

Check out the website to read more about it and see the video.

My favorite was the featured exhibit right now: Picasso and American Art!

"Bull Fight" 1934? Picasso
(there was a similar, cooler version at the exhibit)


"Bathers with Beach ball" 1928
Picasso


This is an excellent show with a lot of Picasso's diverse art pieces intermingled with American Artists who were influenced by him, my favorite one being Max Weber. Too bad I can't find a copy of the "Conversation" 1919 online anywhere. That was my favorite one of his and it's more interesting than some of his other work...













David Smith "Interior" 1937
Max Weber "Bather" 1913

So after failing at finding all the images of my favoirte prints from the show online, I am realizing that that is the point of having museums and galleries..If all the pieces were all online, there wouldn't be as much excitement to go and see them in person at the museum right?

To be honest, I always thought it a nice thing to go to museums, but often lack the initiative to go because there can be this air of exclusiveness and "holier than thou" attitudes attached with the experience, which isn't that nice.

Yet, after being so inspired by much of the art I saw on Tuesday, and actually every time I actually take the time to go, I get motivated to do art! Hooray! So yesterday I sanded and gessoed some salvaged wood, and I'm going to start some new paintings today:)

So I am accepting the fact that there are a lot of good reasons that museums and galleries exist, and I think that the good things that come from their existance outweigh the "exclusiveness, holier than thou" stuff one can feel sometimes.
Here are my top 5 reasons that art museums are cool:
Reason #1: you can go look at art up close that you can't see other places. Even if there are prints or photos of the work, there's something totally different about seeing the textures, colors, and materials used up close and personal.
Reason #2 They create a gathering place for communities to get together and appreciate culture, inspire thinking,and sparks conversations.
Reason #3 They inspire artists to create more art!
Reason #4 They offer a space to appreciate contemporary artists and support local artists in the area.
Reason #5 They instigate personal and social change by offering a space where it is encouraged to open your mind and look beyond yourself to learn new things or see things from a different perspective.

I now have a renewed appreciation and thankfullness for art museums and galleries. Even though "the art world" is tainted with egotism and uppety rich folks, I think everyone has something to gain from having more art in their lives.
So go out into the world, reach out to people, make art however you feel inspired to, talk to people, go to museums, and support local artists where you live! I would especially reccomend finding out when the free days and gallery openings are each month and go to those!
Yay for art.


No comments: