Monday, March 12, 2007

Another Day at the Musuem

I took some international students down to the Oakland Museum for their FREE day yesterday:) They have a really nice history of california exhibit, California artists, with a couple of famous pieces by Rothkho and Deibenkorn....but my favorite exhibition was by "100 Families Oakland" project using art for social change.
Basically a partnership between Oakland's Center for Art and Public life and the College of California Arts came together to offer a series of art workshops for families from four diverse neighborhoods in Oakland to participate in together.
The project is about celebrating family as the foundation of community by bringing famlies together, building self-worth and bonds by creating art, and bringing together neighbors to strenthen the broader community...This makes me happy.
I'm glad there are projects like this and I would like to be a part of more like them.



No comments: