Sunday, May 01, 2011

My Ginormous Pumpkin

So the time has come: for giant pumpkin growing! I went to the Giant Pumpkin growing class at Mountain Valley Seeds on Saturday and now I am ready. Well...so maybe that's not completely true. Let's just say I'm a little more ready than I was on Friday. At least I've got a seed to grow; two in fact. One is from the state record holder last year: Mconkie, and the other is from Israelsen, the winner from the year before. I'm going to do a little experimenting....
I still need to prep a garden space big enough to grow a giant pumpkin (minimum 6' x 8'), which in my backyard requires loosening compacted rocky soil that was once underneath asphalt, then adding more topsoil and compost to make the soil grow-able, then extending the drip lines to cover the new garden space, then building a fence to keep the chickens out. After that I need to warm up the soil, by either covering it with some clear plastic or building a hoop house, as recommended by Andrew Israelsen, teacher of the class I went to and president of the Utah Pumpkin Growers Association. Also owner of one of the gigantic seeds that I got from Mountain Valley to grow.

I was so excited after I got home from the workshop on Saturday that I finished digging up the asphault (which was mostly already done thanks to our neighbor Tim; we share a backyard) and started loosening the rocky soil underneath with a pick axe. After about 3 or 4 hours of digging, sifting out big rocks, shoveling and raking out soil, my hands were pretty sore so I called it a day. Today we did a bunch of weeding in my vegetable garden (which is on the NorthWest side of our house and in the front yard...a space probably only about 4' x 12'- not big enough (or concealed enough) to grow a majestic ginormous pumpkin fit enough for a boat.
That's right, a pumpkin boat. That's my goal. So I may not grow a 1167 lber Utah state record holder, but my ultimate goal is not about weight, it's about size. All I need is a pumpkin big enough to make a boat and sit inside (still a few hundred pounds I suppose- we will see). Ever since I saw a giant pumpkin boat race in Damariscotta, Maine in 2008, I've had a secret desire to grow a giant pumpkin and race it. Now's my chance. I've got the seed. I've got the space (with a little more work) and I've got a friend to race (Carly- it.

So here's the seed. This one is the israelsen:




Today I planted it in a four inch pot in some organic seed starter mix with some compost and kelp meal mixed in. I put it on top of my fridge to germinate.

My other seed, the McConkie (state winner last year and new record holder) I am thinking about germinating without soil (you know the same way we did in elementary school- in a damp paper towel on top of a fridge) then planting directly in the ground once the danger of frost has passed- mid may?

We will see which plant does better. I have always heard that pumpkins (and most cucurbits) prefer to be planted directly in the ground, but Mr. Israelsen transplants his...when it comes to giant pumpkins I am willing to experiment. Wish me luck!

Updates to follow.

Krystal mae

No comments: